Friday, August 31, 2007

Open Studio



Last weekend, I participated in Artists of St. George Open Studios. I was a bit worried since I didn't have a lot of finished pieces here in Maine to show and even more worried about the state of the "studio"

It is really just a basement where I work but Pete is busy getting water and tables down there and it is still in a state of transition.
Earlier this summer, I got a wonderful old oak drafting table at an auction...When I got that, I felt like it was truly a studio. It looks out to the cove so I have a lovely view. We cleaned the place up, covered up the boiler and my trash as best we could and were good to go........

It turned out to be a fun experience. I met some lovely people, neighbors and other local artists. The BEST part though was that I ended up showing my process more than end product. I had about 20 pieces going at the same time ( these gilded collages) I was able to show how I take little scraps from my stash and move them around until I find the perfect image of the moment.

I came out on the other side of the OS with several pieces that I really liked...several more that have potential and a lot of new ideas. Below are the products of that weekend...they may or may not stay the same.


No comments: